Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

MIT: Distant Thoughts


Kia ora my lovely readers,



In some strange way I feel so privileged to be riding out a time like this with the affordances I have. With routines out the window and new routines slowly forming, I force myself to avoid rushing into a new agenda flooded with activities to fill space. It's difficult. I already have an agenda filled and I'm looking forward to the weekend!





I know all the right things to do. I know that relationships are vital. I know I have been given this time to love my family. To practice kindness and communication. To 'have the time' to look at someone and listen to them fully. Was it really time that I was lacking? Or is it a lack of discipline and character.

Children know these things too.

They know that they should be kind. They know they should look at someone when they are speaking. They know they should take turns to talk.

Children tell me these things.

However, I wonder how many children will experience this in their own homes over this quarantine period.

So here's the clincher. If they know these things but never practice them. If they know these things but never see them in practice, how will they learn.

Therefore, it is our role as educators to teach them.

Now, how do I do this by distance?

We are always talking about preparing our children for the future. "What will future learning and future careers require?" Suddenly the answer is glaringly obvious: remote offices and distance learning.

So, how does this affect my project?

To recap, since the beginning of the year I have had the privilege to work with a Maniakalani team of teachers given the time and scaffolds to investigate our own challenge or project. This is what I am addressing today. The challenge I am tackling with our students is...


This developed into ...





What I now hope to do is use Google Meet as a platform to practice listening skills with students. Google meet cannot function without turn taking. Social connection is now at a premium.

Next steps:
Image result for google hangout icon
  • Set up google meet with small groups.
  • Focus on one goal at a time. This might look like etiquette, turn-taking, watching a persons eyes, making your eyes available by looking at the screen, showing validation, or responding to an idea by repeating it. 
  • Re-develop the students listening skills rubric to include online inter and intra personal connections.


Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas in the comments below. I look forward to hearing from you. 


4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Alethea. Sounds as though you are adjusting well to our 'new world' and I do agree with your comment about the importance of relationships! You have selected a challenging challenge and I look forward to your ongoing investigation and how you implement Google Meet and its effectiveness..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gary for you validation and comments. It will be interesting to develop through a new frontier and I do feel grateful for having a 'new frontier' to cross... interesting times will hopefully lead to innovative challenges and solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Alethea
    Your post is heart warming. Who could have foreseen when we were sitting at the beach together at the end of February that the challenge you planned to grapple with could be of heightened importance in the coming months.
    I am delighted you have thought through your re-design and have such a positive framework ready to roll with your learners. Best wishes for the coming weeks.

    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy! Today has been exciting and the rush of happiness from the children seeing each other online has been a real highlight! So many of them followed etiquette without being reminded. It makes me feel eager and positive about the next steps for this project.

      Delete