Search This Blog

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Reach for the Moon

Kia ora! Thank you for checking out this blog! 


Last year I was given the incredible opportunity to attend a DFI ( Digital Fluency Intensive) being a teacher within the Maniakalani schools group. This subsequently lead to applying for the 2020 MIT ( Maniakalani Innovative Teacher )  opportunity, an initiative designed to encourage innovative thinking and creating of new 'tools' within education.

Each applicant was required to propose a problem that they had identified within teaching and learning.

My proposal centered around learning through listening in independent groups.




I noticed that as teachers we often grouped children to share and learn together. However, when observing groups in my classroom I noticed that the children's ability to learn from each other was often impeded by social status and a lack of attention or value placed on what another child was saying.



Defining the challenge that impacted achievement took four re-writes to hone and clarify. It now reads:

 

The following deck of slides shares some of my initial thoughts around how I might address the social connection among students in a learning group.



Thank you for reading this post. If anything resonated with you or if you have ideas to contribute to developing a solution please feel free to comment below. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Nga mihi nui


No comments:

Post a Comment