Search This Blog

Thursday, September 19, 2019

DFI: Certified Level 1






Once again back in the learning pit. Once again feeling that strange nervous pressure. That feeling which the children in my classroom struggle with all the time. Once more recognising that in my own way I have not been walking in their shoes.




Last night the nerves kicked in prior to the following day's DFI ( Digital Fluency Intensive) Google Certification. It was good, but uncomfortable, to be be sitting a test. To recognise the pressure but also the natural need for it.

Google Certification Level 1... check!

So what now...

Now as Term 4 start rumbling forward, carrying us along into summer like a tidal wave the question of next years goals is beginning to arise.

I am posting these goals online to ask you to help keep me accountable! I aim to accomplish at least two.

Goal 1: Run an online Toolkit either in Term 4 or next year. - Extension: aim to run an Online Toolkit once a year.

Goal 2: Apply for MIT in 2020

Goal 3: Apply for Google Class on Air

Goal 4: Investigate Tuhi Mai Tuhi Atu

Goal 5: Sustain my online blogging presence.


What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?

We make a difference. Maniakalani makes a difference. Blogging, relationships and love of learning makes a difference...

Owning this knowledge, understanding how the pedagogy came into being from the ground up, has been invaluable. I have learnt that this pedagogy is not just solely academic education focused. There are a multitude of programs that do this. Maniakalni makes a difference because it is educating the humanity and the academic aspect within all of us. It is a collaborative approach where teachers and students are learning alongside each other. Knowledge is free and accessible and we learn, create and share together - learning through learning, learning through creating, sharing and we create, sharing as we learn, inside, outside, upside down.
It requires relationship. it requires validation. It requires purpose and it makes a difference.

I learnt that this is not just a school philosophy, it is not a government initiative, it is not just an organisation. It is a pedagogy and philosophy that I need to incorporate in my own understanding and actions in order to make the greatest difference now for my children. I am sold... twice over.


What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?

Having the skills to quickly and easily use all of the google suit has increased my personal confidence and opened up a whole raft of other tools and tricks that I did not before think of using. If the thought crossed y mind, it was often placed into the too hard basket because the time taken to figure it out fail and experiment was just too valuable.

I feel so much more confident to be using google sheets, groups and hangouts and have extended and clarified my use of everyday tools such as sites, docs, drawings and slides.

Little expectations across the course for speed and efficiency have raised the speed of preparation in everyday access to teaching: shortcuts, searches and url. changes have made a difference.

The following document is a collection of key ideas, tips and tricks that I have found most useful and is what I am currently endeavouring to use and put in place in the classroom.

A big shoutout to the facilitators, Maniakalani and the sponsors who made this possible. Thank you to the incredible principal of Hornby Primary for the opportunity to be a part of this DFI. Thank you to all the teachers who participated, for your feedback, great conversations and inspirations.

I am proud to be a part of the Learn Create Share community... this is where it's at.




2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Alethea,
    Those are some great goals that are certainly manageable, signing up to Tuhi Mai Tuhi Atu in 2020 would also support goal 5.
    That is a very comprehensive overview of the key ideas, tips and tricks you have picked up over the last nine weeks. How are you going to look at sharing this information back to your colleagues?
    I am also proud to be part of Learn Create Share.
    Nga mihi,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Alethea, firstly, congratulations on your Google Certification Level 1 pass!! You can be very proud of this achievement. I am thrilled you will be applying for MIT again in 2020, I am sure this experience will strengthen your application. The next thing we need to discuss is how you can share your learning with the staff - congratulations gain!

    ReplyDelete